Tuesday 3 May 2016

OUGD602: PPP- BRIEF 2. Final Presentation














Presentation notes: 


1.    – Hi
2.    Before coming to LCA I did A Level graphics, photography & media. I knew that I was creative and had ideas but they were always rough and sketched. I wasn’t sure how to put them together but three years on this course has really developed me in design thinking and also my finish.

3.    Within the first year it was a complete change to move from the countryside to the city. I was also introduced to a whole new way of thinking with the workshops in the fundamentals of design. I had originally come from a illustrative and artistic background and over my three years here I have been refining the artwork I create through developing skills on adobe software.

4.    Within 2nd year I became more confident with using software and processes this meant that over time my quality of work has improved drastically. My ideas development and use of illustrator was really shown within one of the briefs last year for autism awareness. Within this brief it really pushed my ability to research and speak to others about a particular issue to be able to create a design solution. At this point I feel as though my ability to use illustrator is improving and this means that my overall final finish is also improving too.

5.    COP gave me confidence to contact designers and professionals and for my dissertation I contacted a number of people to ask for their opinions on ethics within design and also what they thought of the first things first manifesto. To further this I also completed a live project for COP with a hedgehog charity. It was a great experience and the branding is actually being used by the charity to raise awareness and funds for much needed equipment.

6.    In this final year I have focused heavily on finish and quality of my designs. This is something I received feedback on in 2nd year. From spending a while rendering my sketches on the computer this has meant my final resolutions have been to a higher standard than previously. Within 2nd and the beginning of this year I wasn’t sure what direction of design I wanted to focus on, but eventually I have found I enjoy branding briefs. I also enjoyed the experience of DBA as gaining knowledge of how to present professionally was great, even if I didn't fully enjoy the brief itself. 

7.    PLACEMENT 1- For my first placement in January I worked at Totality GCS in Leeds for a week. The placement gave me an insight to commercial design and especially into packaging. (SOUP&GO) However this placement also made me realise that I prefer to work in smaller studios and on a more personal level.

8.    PLACEMENT 2- I thoroughly enjoyed my second placement and I worked at a small studio in Blackburn, Lancs called Source Creative. It was a great experience because I was able to work alongside the designers on the same briefs and they showed an interest to my ideas and work. I also learned a little bit more about how they run their company from a business perspective and they gave me advice about charging and dealing with clients. The briefs I helped complete there were for the community and to improve the culture in the area which was really great to be part of such as artwork for a St George’s Day event and branding for a woodland walks organisation.

9.    Within the final year I have been focusing on improving the visual standard and finish of my work. This has included the presentation so I can gain a good quality portfolio for when I leave. Through developing mock-ups, screen-printing and using the photography studio I have been able to expand projects with printed materials to show brands across a range of possibilities.

10.         My aims for the rest of this year are to continue with more branding projects and develop my briefs to show full concepts to try and push myself in presenting work better. I hope that these briefs will therefore give me a strong portfolio to leave university with. After easter I will hopefully be working alongside Ink&Pixels studio to complete live projects as a collab. (&Elmwood)

11.         The portfolio of work I will gain from my three years at LCA along with the end of year show will prepare me for working in a small graphic design studio. Over the next few years I have ambitions for creating a contact list of clients to work with as a freelancer whilst gaining industry experience in a studio job. This will hopefully prepare me and lead to working for myself in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment